Do you need to keep your large dog in a certain area of the house or perhaps out of a certain area in your home? Have you tried smaller gates but they don’t really seem to work because they are not keeping your dog where you want him? If you don’t find a good dog gate for your big dog soon, you might be stuck crating your large dog every time Grandma or small kids come over.
Because there are so many different types of dog gates, it can be hard to tell if you are choosing the most suitable one for your pup. We’ve done some research to make your selection easier. We’ve read hundreds of reviews to make sure you’re getting the best dog gate for large dogs.
Because you care about your dog, you want to make sure that you get a gate that is tall enough and strong enough to keep your dog where he’s supposed to stay, but also not too overbearing that he can’t see you. It should be easy to walk through and ideally child-proof, and, most importantly, keep Fido secured!
Challenges you might face in finding a good dog gate for your large dog:
- Do you have a preference for what the gate looks like? If you have a beautiful home with all hardwood floor, you might want a gate that better matches the style of your home.
- Is the gate easy to lock but also easy to get in and out of? You don’t want to have to spend tons of time trying to open the gate when you are moving about your house, but you also want a gate that locks securely and keeps your dog in.
- Is the gate child-proof? If you have children, you want to make sure that your little two-year-old can’t let the dog out!
- Is it actually effective in keeping a large dog inside a particular area? If the gate is too flimsy or weak, it’s not going to be a good fit for a larger dog.
- Where are you hoping to use your gate? You need to decide if you need it in a doorway, hallway, or stairway, and select the appropriate gate to suit your needs.
Now that we’ve looked into some questions you might want to consider, let’s examine some of the advantages of finding an excellent gate for your large dog.
Benefits you will notice when you use a dog gate:
Comfort for Your Dog
- No dog likes to be crated when people come over, but, given your dog’s temperament and the age of the people visiting your home, you may need to relocate Fido.
- Partitioning off a section of your house is a great way to keep your dog away from the company while still giving him room to roam.
Comfort for You and Your Family
- When you know that you have a secure gate that keeps your dog in a separate area of the house, you will have peace of mind, knowing you don’t have to keep such a careful eye on your dog!
- An excellent gate allows you to have more control over your dog and his interactions with others.
Below you will find our top three picks for a dog gate for large dogs, in order of how much we like them. Depending on your needs, any of these gates are great choices.
Best Dog Gate for Large Dogs (Our Top 3 Recommendations)
Richell 3-in-1 Convertible Elite Pet Gate
This Richell 3-in-1 Pet Gate is an amazing product specifically built with dog owners in mind. The fact that it is so flexible—it can function as a gate, pet pen, or room divider—sets it above the rest. Because it’s very stable when used correctly and it’s aesthetically pleasing, it is an excellent gate for your big dog.
While it might be a little more expensive than other gates, it really works, and it’s helpful to have the flexibility to use the six panels in whatever configuration that you need. If you’re looking for a versatile and elegant dog gate, the Richell 3-in-1 pet gate is truly elite.
Richell Deluxe Freestanding Pet Gate with Door (Large)
The Richell Deluxe Freestanding Pet Gate is great because it has gates long enough for a wide opening and sturdy and tall enough to keep large dogs inside. Even when other gates get knocked down by large dogs, this gate won’t. It’s sturdy, solid, and well-built. Plus, it looks really classy.
If you have a particularly smart pooch, some dogs have figured out how to open this gate by putting their noses through the rods, pushing up a little bit, and opening the gate. But if you’re blessed to have that intelligent of a pup, all you need to do is install a latch! In sum, the Richell freestanding dog gate will keep your large dogs in while still being easy for Grandma to open!
Cardinal Gates Stairway Angle Baby Gate 27″-41.5″
If you need a gate that you can install at an angle, the Cardinal Gates Stairway Angle Baby Gate is the one for you. Although it’s great for all areas, the gate is especially ideal for the top of the stairs. Unlike some gates, there is no bottom piece to walk over, so it is simple and easy to use.
Although it’s called a baby gate, this Cardinal gate is great for large dogs because it’s sturdy and can be installed at any height you need. It swings both ways, making it quite functional. It doesn’t automatically lock when it closes, so you’ll need to be aware of that and be sure that you pick it up slightly and set the closing mechanism down. But that’s easy to do. All in all, if you want a gate for those tough spaces, choose the Cardinal Gates Stairway Angle Baby Gate.
In conclusion, depending on if you’re predominantly looking for a versatile gate that can function as a freestanding pet gate, a pet pen, or a room divider, or if you want something that’s child-proof, our top three rated products can help you section off your large pup. No need to continue to crate your dog when you can purchase one of these excellent dog gates!
P.S. Help a friend find a good dog gate for a large dog by pinning this!
Published at Fri, 13 Jul 2018 06:25:20 +0000